Snow Forecast Update: More Snow Predicted for Hudson Valley on Saturday
This weekend, a large winter storm is expected to move through our region, bringing variable degrees of snowfall and potential issues to various portions of the region.
Residents are getting ready for a mix of snowy conditions, probable freezing rain, and coastal flooding worries as weather alerts and advisories have been issued throughout numerous counties.
With differed snowfall levels predicted for different places, authorities are recommending caution, emphasizing potential transport difficulties and the need for safeguards to protect safety in the middle of the expected icy weather.
Forecast changes to more snow in some areas of Hudson Valley Saturday:
— richard p. mchugh The Great Democrat (@gorevidal) January 6, 2024
Alerts and Forecasts:
- There’s a winter storm watch from 4 p.m. Saturday to 6 p.m. Sunday for southeast New York, northeast New Jersey, and southern Connecticut.
- Places like Northern Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam counties might see up to 9 inches of snow.
- Southern Westchester and New York City might only get a light dusting, maybe around 2 inches.
- Southern Westchester has a Winter Weather Advisory from 4 p.m. Saturday to 11 a.m. Sunday. Expect about 2-4 inches of snow and gusty winds up to 35 MPH. Roads could get slippery, and there might be a mix of rain after the snow.
- Coastal Flood Advisory is set for Southern Westchester from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m. Sunday. There could be some flooding near the waterfront.
- Snow is likely after 1 p.m. on Saturday, but the heavy snowfall will come Saturday evening. It might even turn into freezing rain.
- Snow totals on Saturday could reach 4 to 8 inches, with wind gusts around 9 to 13 mph.
- Sunday morning might see more snow and some freezing rain before it all turns into steady snow by 10 a.m.
- Snow totals on Sunday might be 1 to 3 inches, with lighter wind gusts.
- Travel might be tough, especially on major roads, so staying indoors might be a good idea.
Impact and Precautions:
- Westchester County is gearing up for the storm, with emergency crews on call and advice to avoid unnecessary travel.
- The added rain might cause tree branches and power lines to fall, and some coastal areas might see minor flooding.
Read some of the latest headlines below:
- Snowfall Forecast: Saturday Night Storm Approaching Massachusetts
- Winter Storm Warning: Rain, Then Snow Expected in Chicago Area Tuesday as System Arrives
- Boston Area Could See Some Light Snow Late This Weekend
Here’s a peek at the snow predictions in different areas this weekend:
- New York City/Southern Westchester: Around 1.4 inches
- White Plains: About 3.5 inches
- New City: Nearly 7.9 inches
- Cold Spring: Up to 9.6 inches