North Texans saw below-freezing temperatures Thursday night and Friday morning as an Arctic cold hit the US.
This cold may freeze and break water lines, requiring costly repairs. Fort Worth recommends calling a plumber for frozen pipes or no water.
Cracked pipes will explode when thawed. Call a plumber if a pipe bursts and turn off the water at the main valve.
The city authorities warn against heating pipes with electrical equipment since they might break and electrocute.
Call 817-392-4477 or use MyFW to report a damaged water main.
Fort Worth offers these pipe-freezing tips:
- Insulate outdoor pipes. Cover exterior faucets and disconnect hoses.
- Open the water pipe cabinet doors for heat.
- To avoid sidewalk and street ice in winter, turn off or disconnect your irrigation system.
- Drain irrigation pipes to avoid freezing and bursting.
- If a pipe breaks, know the main water shut-off valve.
- In case of a main break or frozen pipe, stockpile water during cold weather.