Connect with us

News

Refugees: Migration researcher Gerald Knaus calls for renewal of the EU-Turkey deal

Published

on

On the fifth anniversary of the EU refugee deal with Turkey, the expert Gerald Knaus, often referred to as its “architect”, calls for a reform of the agreement. The fact that the EU had not started new negotiations with Ankara before the expiry of the previous year was a “serious mistake”, Knaus said in an APA interview. In any case, the prospects for a new agreement are good: both Turkey and Greece are very interested in it.

The only thing missing is someone “who can bring it to the table,” said the Austrian migration researcher. The EU Commission will not be, individual states would have to take action here. The EU-Turkey deal, which is actually “only” a legally non-binding “declaration”, is primarily due to the commitment of the German government.

In Knaus’ opinion, a new agreement should aim at an immediate evacuation of the camps on the Greek islands. “Something like that must never happen again.” In addition, it must be ensured that there are enough staff to process asylum applications on the islands. The agreement should also be extended to land borders (so far it is only applicable to arrivals by sea) and contain a “binding, clear commitment” by the EU to Turkey to accept refugees. As the fourth of five points for a new deal, Knaus named the creation of a kind of monitoring mechanism to prevent human rights violations such as illegal rejections in the Aegean. Finally, the situation on the Turkish-Syrian border should be addressed “urgently” and taken seriously, the expert outlined his suggestions.

The original agreement reached on March 18, 2016 resulted in a “win-win-win situation for everyone” up to around a year ago, emphasized Knaus. The EU “was in control, Turkey received aid and the right to asylum was also preserved.” In addition, the number of arrivals fell immediately. Since the “big break” at the end of February / beginning of March last year, as the expert puts it, there has been a “lose-lose-lose situation” – Turkey has no additional money, the EU is pushing people back illegally (pushbacks) and the situation on the Greek islands has not really improved either.

According to Knaus, one of the “two big mistakes” of the agreement can be found there: The conditions of admission to the Aegean Islands were “always deterring”, faster procedures and thus faster deportations have never been achieved. The second big mistake was that after the deal expired, Brussels did not approach Turkey to start new negotiations, explained the head of the “European Stability Initiative” (ESI) think tank. Instead, it came to a break after calls from Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for more financial support in Brussels and he then had refugees taken to the borders with buses. The Greek border guards reacted with violence and the government temporarily suspended the right to asylum. “Since then, the pushbacks have also skyrocketed,” said Knaus, concerned.

According to the migration expert, the “big question” for the EU is now: “Are you satisfied with the status quo – suspension of the refugee convention, breaking the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), pushbacks – a state of quasi lawlessness? Reach an agreement with Turkey that is in line with human rights? “

There are two options today: “Humane control with the right to asylum or the current policy of deterrence.” The more Europeans get used to violence and European migration policy going hand in hand, the faster the Geneva Convention on Refugees will die, warned Knaus with a view to human rights violations at several EU borders.

When asked whether the EU would not make itself more dependent on Turkey by renewing the agreement, the co-initiator of the pact replied: “Whether the EU wants humane border protection and relies on cooperation, or on forbidden pushbacks, that is decided by the European government In the first case, the EU needs partners, including Turkey. There is no deterrent by suspending all legal standards. Only that would be a very high price. “

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

18,000 people evacuated due to floods in Australia

Published

on

By

The situation is worsening due to the heavy rains on the east coast of Australia. Nearly 18,000 people stranded in floods in New South Wales have been evacuated and taken to safer places.

In the state capital Sydney and southeastern Queensland, the water level of rivers and dams has increased.

Officials have said that ‘this situation created for the first time in 50 years’ can persist for several weeks. The administration has asked people to take precautions.

The country’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison has offered financial assistance to those forced to leave home.

New South Wales premier Gladie Berejiklian told that no one has lost her life till late Monday. He said that “like circumstances, it is like a miracle”.

But there has been a huge loss in the affected areas. 25 million Australians live in these areas.

Berejiklian said that many of the communities that had been affected by the floods were affected by wildfires and drought in the previous summer.

He said, “I don’t know that in such a short time between an epidemic in the history of the state, such bad weather conditions have been created.”

Emergency services conducted at least 750 rescue operations. Which includes evacuating people trapped in cars. A family stranded in the flood was evacuated with the help of a helicopter.

Rescuers also rescued a family trapped with a newborn baby in a house off the western side of Sydney.

Australia’s Meteorological Department says that rainfall up to 900 mm in some areas is ‘extraordinary’.

Most concern was expressed for the lowlands of northern and western Sydney, the NSW Central Coast and the Hawkesbury Valley.

What happened so far?

New South Wales is devastated due to floods. 15 thousand people were evacuated from the state’s Mid-North Coast and 3 thousand people were evacuated from Sydney to safe places.

Roads have been cut due to swollen rivers and about 150 schools had to be closed on Monday.

Many animals have died, in flood affected areas, animals are seen floating in the water and the windows of the houses are full of water.

A young couple had a wedding on Sunday, but they saw their home in Sydney’s north on the same day in floods.

Flights have been canceled due to flooding on the runway of the airport, about 17 km from Sydney.

According to officials, a small tornado occurred in the western part of Sydney on Saturday, causing landslides and damage to homes.

Continue Reading

News

Germany Top virologist warns COVID rates to spike again

Published

on

By

Berlin: Germany’s top virologist Christian Drosten warns that the situation may once again deteriorate there. He says that once again the impact of the Kovid-19 epidemic in Germany can be seen as Christmas. Let me tell you that Dr. Drostston is one of the few experts in Germany whose words have an impact on the decisions of the government. In the beginning of the Kovid-19 epidemic and later also, the German government took steps to prevent it by taking advice from them. In this context, the importance of his statement has increased significantly.

They even say that the third wave of Kovid-19 is seen in Germany. For this, they have insisted on rapid vaccination. In response to questions raised on the AstraZeneca vaccine, Dr. Drostan has said that the formation of blood clots is a concern among those taking the vaccine, which should be taken seriously.

Doctor Drostan says that the B-117 variant of the Kovid-19 could hit the country hard. It is necessary to rein this soon. Due to this, cases of corona virus infection are increasing rapidly in the country and this can be a alarm bell. According to him, the first case of this variant was encountered in Britain and it was difficult to prevent it. In view of the increasing cases in Germany, he has warned the government that in the wake of the Kovid-19 cases, there may be a Christmas-like situation in the country. According to him, there was a tremendous increase in cases in Germany after Easter last year.

The online edition of the German newspaper Dieche Welle notes that Drosten of Berlin-based Charity University Hospital has played an important role in tracking and tracing cases of Kovid-19 in the past. He has said that cases of this variant of Britain have increased threefold in Germany. He has said on the basis of various research that this new variant of the virus that came from Britain is more dangerous as well as more dangerous. According to the figures of Germany, on Wednesday there are 13435 new cases there and their number has reached 2594764. At the same time 73905 have died in Germany.

Continue Reading

News

New twist in the case of forced conversion of Hindu girl in Pakistan

Published

on

By

A court in Sindh province in Pakistan has sent a Hindu girl to a child protection center in the case of alleged forcible conversion.

The girl has said in her statement in front of the court that she has changed her religion without any pressure from her will. On the other hand, the girl’s father alleges that some people took her (girl) away, after which she has been forced to convert.

The girl was produced on Wednesday in the court of Civil Judge Munavvar Pirzada of Tangwani, Tehsil, Kashmarkot, North Sindh with police protection from the shelter home, where the court recorded the girl’s statement.

The girl says that she has changed her religion by reaching the Dargah Bharchondi on her own and now her name is Umme Hina. The girl has also said in her statement that there was no pressure on her to change religion.

Advocate Abdul Ghani Bijrani, on behalf of the girl’s parents, requested the court that the girl is a minor. Advocate Abdul Ghani has also requested the court to set up a medical board to find out whether the girl has been raped.

Remember that Sindh is prohibited from marrying under 18 years of age. If someone marries under the age of 18 or helps in getting married, a case can be filed against him.

Advocate Abdul Ghani Bijrani has alleged that the Nikahnama (marriage certificate) is not being presented due to the Sindh Child Marriage Restaurant Act (Prevention of Child Marriage Act). Therefore, they have requested the formation of a medical board.

A written request also states that the matter should be transferred to the Anti-Terrorism Court. According to the lawyer of this case, Abdul Ghani Bijrani, the crime of kidnapping of minors comes under Section 364 of the ATA. Therefore, by including it in the FIR, the case should be conducted in an anti-terrorism court.

The lawyer also said that the girl cannot live with non-maharams (people from whom the curtain is necessary). Therefore, she should be handed over to her parents or she should be transferred to the children’s shelter home, after which the court has ordered the girl to be shifted to Sukkur shelter home.

Advocate Saeed Ahmed Bijrani appeared on behalf of Pir of Bharchondi, who later told reporters that the court met the girl and her parents in private, after which the statement was recorded. He has claimed that the girl said that she wants to go to Pir of Bharondi, so that she can continue her Islamic education.

According to advocate Saeed Ahmed, he has also made the same request that the girl be sent to the Dargah Bharchandi. Because it is an ‘important Islamic institution’. But the court has ordered that the girl will be sent to the child protection center till the police investigation is completed.

‘Kidnapped in white car’

The girl’s father Takht Mal had lodged an FIR with the Tangwani police station that at 4 pm on March 9, a white colored car stopped outside his house, out of which five others including Mushtaq, Bhoral came out. He had a pistol and scared everyone so that no one would protest, they would take the girl and marry her to Mushtaq.

According to the FIR, Mushtaq “grabbed the 13-year-old girl by her arm and took her along and rode in the car and left”. The father suspects that his daughter has been kidnapped for marriage.

After this case, a video went viral on social media. In which the Pir of Dargah Bharchandi is sitting on the bed and the girl is sitting on the ground and people are standing around, all of whom are men. Pir recites the verse and the girl repeats them in a slow voice, then Pir rotates the note over the girl and hands it to her disciples.

The girl was produced in court on Tuesday along with Pir’s supporters of Bharchandi without the knowledge of her parents. Due to the absence of the plaintiff’s parents, the court adjourned the hearing till Wednesday.

The girl was kept in a decaying safe house. Where the video of the presence of devotees of Dargah Bharchandi and bringing food also went viral on social media. According to reports, when the girl’s father and mother went there to meet, they were allegedly not allowed to meet.

These videos are being severely criticized. Pakistan People’s Party leader Sukhdev said that the girl has been forced to convert. She further said that she is personally looking into the matter and is in touch with Shehla Raza, Minister of State in the Ministry of Women Development.

Apart from the Hindu community in Kandkot, political parties have also protested against the alleged abduction and conversion of the girl.

After the debate on social media and news in the media, the incident of fire in the girl’s house has also come to light three days ago. Speaking to the BBC, the girl’s cousin Shehzad alleged that around four o’clock in the night, four people came, threatening the girl’s father to keep quiet and not to contact the media.

According to Shahzad, he set fire to the dry grass kept there, due to which the house was also engulfed in flames. According to Shahzad, this was his uncle’s only home, which was rented.

According to Shahzad, his uncle lives by selling tea biscuits. SSP Amjad Sheikh told the BBC that the arson claim is not true. According to him, the digchi was kept on fire. Due to which some things were burnt due to fire and now a police post has also been built there. Shahzad said that after this incident a police post was established there.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 East County Gazette (ECG)