Police Dispel Rumors: School Fight Injuries Not Linked to 16-Year-Old Nex Benedict’s Death

Authorities said on Wednesday that Nex Benedict, a 16-year-old nonbinary student, did not die as a result of injuries he received in a brawl in the school bathroom the day before.

According to Owasso police, a preliminary autopsy report from the medical examiner’s office determined that the Oklahoma youngster did not die as a result of trauma.

Benedict, whose family described him as nonbinary, died on February 8, a day after getting into a fight that may have been started by bullying concerning their gender identification.

“At this time, any further comments on the cause of death are currently pending until toxicology results and other ancillary testing results are received,” the law enforcement agency said. “The official autopsy report will be available at a later date.”

Check out the tweet that Bo Snerdley officially shared on Feb. 21:

If you want to read more articles on the news, you can check out our past articles:

Police and the Tulsa-area school have not revealed what caused the brawl, but the teen’s family claims he was harassed because of his nonbinary gender identity.

“While at Owasso High School, Nex was attacked and assaulted in a bathroom by a group of other students,” the family said Wednesday through their legal team.

“A day later, the Benedicts’ beautiful child lost their life.”

An investigation into the brawl is underway, and police have stated that they will pass over the findings to the district attorney’s office to decide whether charges are required.

Benedict, who used they/them pronouns, was able to walk away from the restroom altercation on Feb. 7 but was later taken to the hospital by their family and released that evening.

Police Dispel Rumors School Fight Injuries Not Linked to 16-Year-Old Nex Benedict’s Death (1)

According to authorities, the 16-year-old died the next day after experiencing a “medical emergency” and arriving at the hospital.

Benedict’s mother informed The Independent that her child had bruises all over their face from a fight with three older girls at Owasso High School.

According to police, two other students and a nearby staff member broke up the altercation.

Following the incident, Benedict was directed to the hospital, where police examined them.

According to Fox 23, Benedict informed a family member about the fight via texting.

When questioned about what caused the incident, the teenager stated that they had been harassed at school.

“They had been tormenting me and my buddies, and I got tired of it, so I dumped some water on them, and all three came after me. The school did not report it and is probably going to be sued,” one of the texts stated.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.