Mother Believes Apartment Fire That Sent Three Kids To A Hospital Could Have Been Prevented
Texas’s SPRING BRANCH (KTRK) following a fire in an apartment in the Spring Branch region, three kids were taken to the hospital.
Around 10:47 p.m. on Tuesday, Houston firefighters were called to a three-story apartment building on Wirt Road at Long Point.
Large flames were visible on the scene’s video from the roof. After the fire was put out, the building had visible charring and holes in the siding.
Firefighters weren’t hurt at all.
ABC13 interviewed the mother of the three children who were taken to the hospital on Wednesday. She claimed that when the fire broke out at their apartment last night, her three children—ages 1, 8, and 10—had to flee from the third-floor balcony.
She said, “They were just traumatized.”
@HoustonFire is currently on scene at 1855 Wirt Rd. performing extinguishment efforts after receiving reports of an apartment on fire. Currently, no FF or civilian injuries have been reported. Please avoid the area due to heavy emergency traffic. @FireChiefofHFD
— Houston Fire Dept (@HoustonFire) December 7, 2022
All three children were brought to the hospital, evaluated, and are doing fine. She claims that her 8-year-old son was slightly concussed.
She said, “Things could have been worse.
She agrees that it could have been avoided.
The mother claimed that there had been electrical problems in the apartment since they moved into the La Serena at Spring Branch Apartments in September, which she claims have worsened. The mother declined to give her face out, fearing retaliation from the apartment management.
“It got worse. My husband was installing a plug in the wall when the lights went out. He continued to move the pin, but the lights continued flicking. “She spoke up.
She gave ABC13 a video of the issue she captured last week. As her husband plugged a cord into the outlet, the video captures the lights in the apartment flickering.
She also provided copies of emails and written notifications to management regarding the electrical issue. She claimed that on Tuesday afternoon, just hours before the fire, she was once more requesting a fix from management.
“I told the apartment management, “I have electrical problems,” and they responded, “We will take care of it.” We will get to it,’ and all I’ve been getting is attitude and sporadic communication, “She spoke up.
HFD arson investigators determined that an unidentified electrical malfunction was the fire’s accidental cause. It is unknown if the malfunction this woman expressed concern about is the same.