According to a recent study by Michigan Auto Law, half of the most dangerous crossings in Kent County are on cross streets with US-131.
Based on information from police automobile accident reports from the previous year, the law company Michigan Auto Law releases lists of the riskiest junctions in Kent County every year. The most recent data reveals that despite pandemic lockdowns considerably reducing traffic volume the year before, collision numbers increased in 2021.
With a total of 134 accidents and 26 injuries, the intersection of US-131 and Wealthy Street was determined to be the most hazardous intersection for the sixth consecutive year. The top 10 riskiest junctions in Kent County for 2021 are listed below, according to Michigan Auto Law:
- US-131 at Wealthy Street, Grand Rapids with 134 crashes, 26 injuries
- US-131 at Franklin Street SW, (now Martin Luther King Jr. Street) Grand Rapids with 75 crashes, 10 injuries
- US-131 at Burton Street SW, Grand Rapids with 65 crashes, 13 injuries
- 28th Street SE at Kalamazoo Avenue SE, Grand Rapids with 63 crashes, 20 injuries
- US-131 at 54th Street, Wyoming with 61 crashes, 16 injuries
- US-131 at 28th Street, Wyoming with 59 crashes, 16 injuries
- 28th Street SE at S Division Avenue, Grand Rapids with 58 crashes, 17 injuries
- 28th Street at Breton Road SE, Grand Rapids with 57 crashes, 15 injuries
- 44th Street SE at Eastern Avenue SE, Kentwood with 53 crashes, 21 injuries
- 28th Street SE at Broadmoor Avenue SE, Grand Rapids with 52 crashes, 10 injuries
The riskiest intersection in Kent County is also the seventh riskiest in Michigan. Visit the website for Michigan Auto Law to see rankings from all over the state.