As tax season has begun, some experts warn that 2022 may see some problems similar to those that happened in 2021, when several stimulus checks caused severe problems with the IRS’ filing system.
An array of social media posts stated that the fourth round of stimulus checks is on the way, even though it’s been about a year since stimulus checks were last issued.
“SENDING OUT $2,000 CHECKS FOR EVERYONE! FOURTH STIMULUS CHECK,” the title of a Jan. 28 Facebook video stated. The video gained more than 20,000 views, USAToday reported.
However, none of the videos included evidence of an upcoming payment. This is because there is none.
The IRS officially confirmed there will be no fourth stimulus check.
A spokesperson for the agency could not be reached for comment.
As of now, It Is Unlikely a Fourth Stimulus Check Will Be Sent Out
Many people are calling for a fourth stimulus check to be approved, arguing that even though the payments have ceased, the pandemic has not.
There are over three million signatures on the Change.org petition requesting recurring payments of $2,000 per adult and $1,000 per child until the pandemic is over.
IRS spokesperson Eric Smith told USA TODAY that no such payment has yet been approved.
Several analysts do not believe a fourth stimulus check will be approved either.
Moreso, CBS News reported on Jan. 31 that the Biden administration’s focus on infrastructure has reduced the odds of another stimulus package.
Here is a Timeline of Stimulus Checks in the Past
Nearly two years ago, pandemic stimulus payments began.
During the COVID-19 pandemic just beginning in the spring of 2020, stimulus checks were first deposited, which drove up unemployment rates and caused hardship for many.
Couples earning less than $150,000 received $2,400, while individuals earning less than $75,000 received $1,200.
The Trump administration also approved a second round of stimulus checks in December 2020 – $600 per individual taxpayer, $1,200 per married couple, and an additional $600 for each child under the age of 17.
A third-round came in March 2021 as part of the Biden administration, giving individuals $1,400 and married couples $2,800, along with $1,400 per dependent.
Review: Claim for Fourth Stimulus Check are False
The claim that another stimulus payment of $2,000 to be sent is FALSE based on our research.
The IRS has not approved the fourth round of checks, as Americans have received three rounds.
- USA TODAY, Jan. 12, The IRS is ‘buried’ in paper after ‘most challenging’ year for taxpayers. Why it matters for 2022 tax season.
- The White House, accessed Jan. 31, Remarks by President Biden on Building a Better America
- Change.org, accessed Jan. 31, $2000/month to every American #moneyforthepeople #covid19
- Eric Smith, Jan. 31, phone interview
- USA TODAY, May 7, 2021, Fact check: Congress has not approved a fourth round of stimulus checks
- USA TODAY, July 16, 2021, Fact check: Claim that a 4th stimulus check is scheduled for July is a hoax
- CBS News, Jan. 31, What’s behind the push for a fourth stimulus check
- CNBC, April 13, 2020, The first coronavirus stimulus checks were deposited this week—here’s when you can expect yours
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 13, 2020, Unemployment rate rises to record high 14.7 percent in April 2020
- Pew Research Center, April 21, 2020, About Half of Lower-Income Americans Report Household Job or Wage Loss Due to COVID-19
- U.S. News & World Report, Jan. 13, 2021, Waiting for Your Second Stimulus Check? 10 Questions, Answered
- AARP, May 27, 2021, What Is the IRS Timeline to Send the Third Stimulus Checks?