Elderly CTA Rider Brutally Attacked on Red Line, Captured on Cell Phone Video

Another attack on the CTA’s Red Line has been reported. This time, some disturbing video shows an elderly passenger being robbed and struck with a wine bottle.

Shardaa Gray of CBS 2 spoke with TeShaun Terry, who recorded the video. Terry declined an interview out of fear of retaliation.

We wondered why everyone stood and watched but no one intervened. Terry expressed shock and fear that she would be assaulted as well.

Also read: Chicago Man charged with Illegaly Loaded Gun, Cocaine on CTA Train in the Loop

In a video she shot early Sunday morning at the 95th Red Line station, you can hear her yelling “Oh my God.”

It shows two suspects reaching into the pockets of the elderly victim. One of them takes a full wine bottle from the victim’s jacket and smacks him across the head with it. Before he was hit, CBS 2 cut the video.

Also read: Suspect Climbs Five Stories of Chicago Police Facility and is Shot by Officers During  SWAT Training 

The following statement was issued by the CTA in response to a request for comment on the encounter:

This type of behaviour is heinous and should never happen to a CTA customer. After the incident was reported, CTA started working closely with CPD right away. For example, we shared relevant video from our security camera system.

The Chicago Police Department issued a statement that was similar:

This is not acceptable behaviour in our city or on our public transportation system. In this investigation, we are collaborating with the CTA to identify relevant surveillance footage of the incident and apprehend the offenders.

CPD Issued community Alert

Earlier this month, the first K-9 CTA units were deployed on the Red Line, specifically at the 95th Street station.

For the next 18 months, the CTA has signed a new contract with Action K9 to provide up to 100 unarmed guards and 50 canines per day.

It included supervision and supporting equipment, across CTA rails. The team’s total cost is slightly less than $31 million.

Terry stated that she saw no officers, canines, or even workers on Sunday morning.

Terry also told CBS 2 that after she stopped recording, she immediately called police and filed a report.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.