Deadly Bacteria Found in Walmart Products?

The Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones, an aromatherapy spray sold at Walmart was recently recalled after a sample showed presence of a deadly bacteria. 

The bacteria is called Burkholderia pseudomallei, which causes melioidosis, a condition that is difficult to diagnose and can be fatal. This bacteria is linked to four illnesses and two deaths as of date. 

Read more: Saving Christmas: Target, Home Depot, Walmart and Other Large Retailers Trying to Beat Us Supply Chain Crunch

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Friday that it had identified the bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei in the aromatherapy spray.

The bacteria in question is a soil-dwelling bacterium endemic in tropical and subtropical regions worldwide, particularly in Thailand and northern Australia, which infects humans and other animals and causes the disease melioidosis.

Read more: Aromatherapy Spray Linked To Death of Two From infection in US is Made in India: CDC

In a statement, Walmart said, “Our sympathies go out to the four families that have been impacted by this situation.

Customer safety is always a top priority and as part of the recall we proactively put plans in action to notify customers and prevent further product sales while federal agencies continue their investigation.”

Read more: New Virus is affecting kids in America. Should You be Worried?

The CDC said it will continue to test the bacteria in the bottle to potentially match the bacteria identified in the four patients. The CDC will also continue to investigate whether other related aromatherapy scents and brands may pose a risk.

There are about 12 cases of melioidosis reported in the U.S. every year, the CDC said. Most cases are discovered in people who live or travel to other parts of the world where the bacteria naturally occurs. 

The symptoms of melioidosis are similar to that of a cold or flu, according to the CDC. In other words, similar to symptoms of COVID.

The contaminated spray was sold at about 55 Walmart stores and on Walmart’s websites between February and Oct. 21. Walmart has pulled the remaining bottles of this spray and related products from the shelves and its websites.

Read more: Risk of Dangerous Blood Clots Higher in Recent COVID-19 Cases

Walmart emailed customers who purchased the product online, emailed more than 2,000 customers who purchased the product at one of its stores; sending letters to another 263 customers with no email address on record and placing calls to a number of others with no available email or physical address to warn about the product. 

Stay updated for more news here at the East County Gazette. 


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.