In an ongoing search for four persons thought to have been washed down a wash after the massive storm that battered California early this week, searchers combed a flooded basin on Friday.
Ten individuals, thought to be homeless, were carried down a flood control wash in Ontario, which is about 35 miles (56 kilometers) east of Los Angeles, on Tuesday, sparking the start of the search. Authorities reported that five people were saved and one person was found deceased.
The Ontario Fire Department’s searchers concentrated on a settling basin that had been transformed into a lake by storm runoff.
According to Dan Bell, the city’s director of communications, members of the urban search and rescue team were walking the banks while police helicopters and drones were being utilized to peer down into the river.
He added that water was also being drained from the basin. The duration of the search has not yet been determined, according to Bell. We’re still making progress with our daily searches, he said. Up until the following week, the weather in Southern California was expected to be dry.
A fast-moving system was predicted to bring some precipitation to parts of Northern California on Friday night and Saturday, but forecasters said the effects would be much less severe than those of the previous storm, which brought enough snow for many ski resorts to advance their opening dates.